Abbey House stands on the site of St Mary's Abbey. It was built about 1750 and originally faced the gardens to the rear. The present castellated front was added after the widening of the Broadway in 1772. Benedictine nuns fleeing the disturbances of the French Revolution, made their home here
in the 1790s. The House now serves as the official residences of the Mayor of Winchester.