In 1855, Mrs. Cornish, wife of the Lord of the Manor of Salcombe Regis, allowed the Sid Vale Association to construct Alma Bridge (named after Battle of Alma 1854), at a cost of £26.10s. Timbers came from the vessel "Laurel" wrecked on Sidmouth beach; steps cut into Hanger linked it to cliff path. Bridge repaired 1877 after heavy storm damage. In 1900 Sidmouth Council commissioned architect R.W.Sampson to design present bridge and by 1902 zig-zag path up Hanger completed for £150. Ham Field, then known as "The Marsh" had been presented to the town for public recreation in 1896.
Pont de l'Alma (Alma Bridge in English) is an arch bridge in Paris across the Seine. It was named to commemorate the Battle of Alma during the Crimean War, in which the Franco-British alliance achieved victory over the Russian army on 20 September 1854.