Known as the "Taps" this building was originally the stables for the Grange Hotel which opened in 1866 with finance provided by Furness Railway Company. Thomas Rigg, the first manager, promoted Grange's earliest charabanc service from here, and also gave his name to another venture on site, "Rigg's Refreshment Rooms", affectionately nicknamed the "Cocoa Rooms" by local people simply because cocoa was the cheapest drink available. Education in Grange began in a school built close to the "Taps" on an area liable to flood during high tides "...when the number of small geysers, some attaining two or more feet in height, forced themselves up in the hotel grounds."
Plaque Colour: Black
Local area map loading...
District Council: South Lakeland District Council
District Council Ward: Grange North
County Council: Cumbria County Council
County Council Electoral Division: Grange
UK Parliament Constituency: Westmorland and Lonsdale