Commodore Hotel. The cross-sands coach service from Lancaster to Ulverston began in 1785 and by around 1820 travellers to Grange were able to rest at this coaching house then called the "Bay Horse". The remains of stables still exist today. A turnpike from Greenodd to Levens built in 1819 did not pass through isolated Grange and it was not until 1875 that a connecting road to Lindale finally opened, The hostelry later changed its name to "Commercial" before taking a more modern sounding title, "Commodore". The present car park is believed to be the location of an old sea wall where customs house may have been. Archives from Cartmel Priory indicates this site as a likely unloading point for "sea coles" recorded in 1598.
Plaque Colour: Black
Local area map loading...
Location: Morecambe Bank
District Council: South Lakeland District Council
District Council Ward: Grange North
County Council: Cumbria County Council
County Council Electoral Division: Grange
UK Parliament Constituency: Westmorland and Lonsdale