The Piers. In Victorian times Bayley Lane was the centre access to the shore and "Bayley Lane Pier" was built here by Morecambe Bay Steamboat Company. Remains of this structure can be seen jutting out of the sands. The Promenade from here to Grange Railway Station was built by Furness Railway Company in 1902. Further along the shore a few wooden foundations are all that remain of Clare House Pier, built in 1893 by businessman Richard Bush. Timbers used in its construction are thought to be from Piel Pier at Barrow-in-Furness. At Clare House Lane, Victorian day trippers landed by pleasure steamers and were met by eager townsfolk who were keen to sell fresh market produce. Last used in 1910 by the vessel "Sunbeam" from Morecambe, Clare House Pier was blown down in a gale on 28th October 1923.
Plaque Colour: Black
Local area map loading...
Location: The Promenade
District Council: South Lakeland District Council
District Council Ward: Grange North
County Council: Cumbria County Council
County Council Electoral Division: Grange
UK Parliament Constituency: Westmorland and Lonsdale