The Normandy Veterans Memorial Gardens.
This area known as "Sunken Gardens"is thought to be the most historic place in Grange-over-sands. Grange is thought to take its name from a French word "graunge" meaning "granary", an example of which was probably built here by black-robed Augustinian Canons of Cartmel Priory, a 12th century religious house endowed by William Marshall. Until the dissolution of England's monasteries in 1536, Priors of Cartmel imported supplies into the "graunge" through a harbour once sited close to the present Commodore Hotel. During "setting out" of these gardens in 1925, Mr Benson, a landscaper discovered foundations of a large barn.
Plaque Colour: Black
Local area map loading...
Location: Main Street
District Council: South Lakeland District Council
District Council Ward: Grange North
County Council: Cumbria County Council
County Council Electoral Division: Grange
UK Parliament Constituency: Westmorland and Lonsdale