This chapel was built in 1720 for a Presbyterian congregation dedicated to civil and religious liberty. It became prominent in the anti-slavery movement and openly Unitarian in the 1820s.
In 1733 its first minister, Dr Caleb Rotherham, founded an academy in which he taught divinity, science and advanced mathematics. The former manse north of the entrance was built 1781 and the chapel was restored in 1882.
Plaque Colour: Black
Local area map loading...
Location: Branthwaite Brow
District Council: South Lakeland District Council
District Council Ward: Kendal Fell
County Council: Cumbria County Council
County Council Electoral Division: Kendal Strickland and Fell
UK Parliament Constituency: Westmorland and Lonsdale