THE CATHOLIC CHURCH OF CHRIST THE KING.
Catholic worship revived in Milnthorpe in the 1940's with the arrival of evacuees and Italian Prisoners of War. Mass was celebrated in the Cookery Rooms, now the Library, and in Stoneleigh Surgery garage. In 1947 the Malt Kin behind Haverflatts Lane was adapted as a church serving a Parish stretching from Levens to Beetham. The present Church, designed by Weightman and Bullen of Liverpool, was built in 1970 at a cost of £45,000. Its seven-sided shape is 'derived from a pattern of movement turning in a facetted spiral to a point of stillness in the round interior'. Adam Kossowski made the ceramic plaque by the door, the Stations of the Cross and the Madonna and Child inside.
Plaque Colour: Black
Local area map loading...
Location: Haverflatts Lane
District Council: South Lakeland District Council
District Council Ward: Milnthorpe
County Council: Cumbria County Council
County Council Electoral Division: Kent Estuary
UK Parliament Constituency: Westmorland and Lonsdale