Elvet Bridge This bridge was built by Hugh Puiset (Bishop of Durham 1153-1195) as the second river crossing for the City. The bridge has 14 arches but only 10 are now visible. Originally 5 metres wide it was widened up stream in 1805 to 9.5 metres. At the south-east end of the bridge fragments of the original 12th century bridge and the Chapel of St. Andrews are visible. At the west end was the Chapel of St. James and the House of Correction. The Carriageway was resurfaced in sandstone by the City Council in 1978.
Plaque Colour: Black
Local area map loading...
Location: Elvet Bridge
Unitary Authority: Durham County Council
Unitary Authority Electoral Division (UTE): Elvet and Gilesgate