Monk Bar. Probably so named after the monks of a neighbouring monastery, not as erroneously supposed after General Monk 1660. The vaulted chambers above were the Freemen's Prison. The Arms of England are quartered with those of France on the outer side of Bar. The original portcullis still remains. This Bar is on line of Roman Wall, erected on Roman foundations in the 13th century and enlarged in the 15th century. Barbican removed 1825. The Bar completely restored 1953 and strengthened in 1979.