Blackfriars green plaque in King's Lynn

Blackfriars

On this site stood the Dominican Friary founded before 1256, enlarged in 1329, and closed in 1538. All four Orders of Friars had houses in medieval Lynn, and the Blackfriars' land extended eastward beyond Railway Road. The last ruins were finally cleared for building in 1852.

The Order of Preachers (Latin: Ordo Praedicatorum, hence the abbreviation OP used by members), more commonly known after the 15th century as the Dominican Order or Dominicans, is a Roman Catholic religious order founded by the Spanish priest Saint Dominic de Guzman in France, and approved by Pope Honorius III (1216–27) on 22 December 1216. Membership in the Order includes friars, nuns, active sisters, and lay or secular Dominicans (formerly known as tertiaries) affiliated with the Order.Founded to preach the Gospel and to combat heresy, the teaching activity of the order and its scholastic organization placed the Preachers in the forefront of the intellectual life of the Middle Ages. The order is famed for its intellectual tradition, having produced many leading theologians and philosophers.[citation needed] The Dominican Order is headed by the Master of the Order, who is currently Father Bruno Cadoré. Members of the order generally carry the letters O.P., standing for Ordinis Praedicatorum, meaning of the Order of Preachers, after their names.In the year 2000, there were 5,171 Dominican friars in solemn vows, 917 student brothers, and 237 novices. By the year 2010 there were 5,906 Dominican friars, including 4,456 priests.A number of other names have been used to refer to both the order and its members.Their identification as Dominicans gave rise to the pun that they were the Domini canes, or Hounds of the Lord.In England and other countries the Dominican friars are referred to as Black Friars because of the black cappa or cloak they wear over their white habits. Dominicans were Blackfriars, as opposed to Whitefriars (for example, the Carmelites) or Greyfriars (for example, Franciscans). They are also distinct from the Augustinian Friars (the Austin friars) who wear a similar habit.In France, the Dominicans were known as Jacobins, because their convent in Paris was attached to the church of Saint-Jacques, now disappeared, on the way to Saint-Jacques-du-Haut-Pas, which belonged to the Italian Order of San Giacomo dell Altopascio (St. James) Sanctus Jacobus in Latin.↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑

Source: dbpedia

Local area map loading...
All plaques in King's Lynn

Tell us what you know about Blackfriars green plaque in King's Lynn

BluePlaquePlaces.co.uk is a Good Stuff website.