Vicars' Court and The Residence In 1379 a College was built for the Vicars Choral around a quadrangle where earlier there had been a large Roman villa. The Vicars Choral were men who deputised for canons at services in the Minster. Around 1690 the medieval collegiate dining hall was replaced by a house for the Canon-in-Residence, William Mompesson, previously Rector of Eyam at the time of the 1665/6 plague. Between 1779 and 1785 the houses of the Vicars Choral and The Residence were rebuilt. Today the Dean of Southwell lives in The Residence and Canons and the Rector Chori in the other four houses.
Plaque Colour: Blue
Local area map loading...
Location: Church Street
District Council: Newark and Sherwood District Council
District Council Ward: Southwell East
County Council: Nottinghamshire County Council
County Council Electoral Division: Southwell and Caunton