Cavendish Arms Inn.
After the Cartmel Commons Enclosures Act of 1796, the Commissioners' first meeting took place at this hotel, then known as "Mrs Hullano's Cavendish Arms Inn".
Stockdales "Annals of Cartmel" records that the meeting took place on the 25th July 1796 when Henry Waddington and William Dawson, two of the commissioners named in the act did severally administer to each other, take and sign the usual oath, notice of this meeting having been given in the Parish Church and all the Chapels, on the 10th of July 1796".
The commissioners sat until 1813.
Plaque Colour: Blue
Local area map loading...
Location: Cavendish Street
Parish: Lower Allithwaite
District Council: South Lakeland District Council
District Council Ward: Cartmel and Grange West
County Council: Cumbria County Council
County Council Electoral Division: Cartmel
UK Parliament Constituency: Westmorland and Lonsdale