Felling Colliery Disaster. 25 May 1812. Of 92 men and boys killed in a colliery explosion at Felling Colliery, 91 were buried in this churchyard and are commemorated here on a memorial. The Rev John Hodgson of this church took up the cause of mine safety and, as a direct result of his efforts, the miners' safety lamp was developed.
Plaque Colour: Blue
Local area map loading...
Location: Churchyard, St. Mary, Shields Road,Heworth