The George Hotel
The Cross Keys Inn was on this site until it was destroyed by fire in 1759.
It was rebuilt and opened in 1760 as the George Hotel. It was a Coaching Inn where at least sixteen coaches a day stopped for a change of horses and a meal for the passengers.
It was enlarged and extended several times, but in the 1950's part of the side against Lyme Street was removed for road safety.