Archway Bookshop. Probably built in the 13th. Century, this building, although it's original purpose is uncertain, was open on the ground floor to allow the passage of carts.
A stone stairway to the left-hand side of the door, possibly used as a hayloft or accommodation for the carters.
During the 1700's it was converted to a private house, Church Cottage. In the 1960's it was used by a dental technician, becoming a bookshop in 1966.
The arch forming the doorway is probably a window brought from Newenham Abbey, which was located south of the town and founded in 1246. It was surrendered to the commissioners of Henry VIII in 1539 and was demolished almost immediately.
Stone from the Abbey has been used in many local buildings.