THE MARKET HALL.
A Market Hall was officially opened in 1878, after the rights and privileges of Ulverston's free street markets and fairs were leased from the Duke of Buccleugh. The terms were for 999 years, for a payment of 5s per annum. The hall was built in the Italian style on land which had formed the kitchen garden of Lightburne House (later the County Hotel). In 1875 a fire destroyed the original building resulting the erection of the present building.