HOLY TRINITY SCHOOL. The building of the Sunday School was financed by the fund-raising efforts of Ulverston townsfolk, businessman and clergy. It was designed by Mr. Grundy, built by W. Waite and opened in 1892. The clergy played an important role in the education of pupils in 19th century Ulverston. Combined with the new Education Act of 1870, they ensured that church schools received larger government grants. In 1891, one year before Trinity School opened, elementary education was made free to all British children.