English Cast Iron
3 Pounder Naval Cannon
This cannon, belonging to Mr Richard Piper of Conghurst,
has been presented to the Trustees of Dunk's Almshouses.
The cannon was set in the road, at Four Throws, by
Mr Piper's grandfather at the end of the 19th century
to protect his private post box from passing traffic.
This cannon was probably made about 1750 for an
armed merchantman (or for export) based on the British
Government pattern of gun. Although cannons were
made in Hawkhurst the local forges were closed before
this gun was made.
Mr Charles Brinsley made the gun carriage from
oak sourced from Delmonden and he also supervised
the refurbishment of the cannon.
The project was undertaken by Mr Jeremy Cross
in association with the Hawkhurst Village Society
and has been sponsored by local donations
and Tunbridge Wells Borough Council.