The Piano Building was built as a wool warehourse in 1867 by Brintons.
The north wall followed the curve of the
historic "Sling" cart way. From above the building resembles a grand
piano. In 1878 it was gutted by fire and rebuilt. For many years an
arm of the canal passed under the towpath into the building, bringing
coal to the nearby boiler house and bales of wool for the store. The
bales were unloaded by hoist to the levels above through hatches cut
into the timber floors. After Brintons withdrew carpet manufacturing
from the town centre 1995 - 2000, the building was saved from
demolition by listing in 2003.