The Workhouse. Near here stood an 18th. century workhouse for Kidderminster Foreign parish, which was the rural area surrounding the town. In 1837 it was replaced by a large version for town and countryside, which poor people were compelled to enter in exchange for poor relief. In 1930 workhouses were formally abolished and their functions transferred to county councils. Finally in 1948 the Poor Law gave way to the National Health Service, and the loathed workhouse buildings were gradually transformed into a much loved hospital. This building, erected in 1874, is all that remains of the workhouse. It was a reception for vagrants, who were made to labour at stone breaking for their keep. Upstairs was the Board Room for the Poor Law Guardians.