The Watergate. When Chester was a flourishing port in the Middle Ages, the river flowed close to the Watergate. All goods entering the city from the port passed through this gate. After the canalisation of the Dee in the 1730's a new port was built lower down the river. The medieval watergate was replaced by the present arch in 1788.
Plaque Colour: Blue
Local area map loading...
Location: The Watergate
Unitary Authority: Cheshire West and Chester Council