The first section was completed in 1842 at the expense of Lord John Rolle and so enabled the development of Exmouth as a resort.
This phase was 1900 feet (590m) in length and constructed of Devon limestone.
John Smeaton (1806-1842) its designer, worked on Rennie's London Bridge and later became Supervisor-in-Chief of the London Dock Company.
No connection is known with his namesake John Smeaton (1724-0792), the celebrated engineer and designer of Plymouth's Eddystone Lighthouse
Plaque Colour: Blue
Local area map loading...
Location: 7 Mamhead View
District Council: East Devon District Council
District Council Ward: Exmouth Town
County Council: Devon County Council
County Council Electoral Division: Exmouth Littleham and Town