The Clipper. Formerly East India House. In the late 18th Century the site was used as a Tea Warehouse by the East India Company. They used the route from Exmouth to London by coach and horses: this being quicker than passing through Bristol. At that time tea was a scarce and valuable commodity: the quicker it reached the markets the higher the price. After 1810, when the 'Tea Bubble' burst, the premises became a high class grocer's shop. In 1955, the full licence was taken up, the premises becoming Leonard's Bar. Now modernised and renamed it returns to its associations with the tea trade.
Plaque Colour: Blue
Local area map loading...
Location: The Clipper, The Strand
District Council: East Devon District Council
District Council Ward: Exmouth Town
County Council: Devon County Council
County Council Electoral Division: Exmouth Littleham and Town