On this site were built the Aldwick Barracks of the late 1700s when coastal defences were being improved against the possible Napoleonic invasion.
The Hampshire Telegraph and Sussex Gazette 10th October 1806 reported that soldiers of the 72nd and 89th Regiments, inflicted with opthalmia possibly contracted during services in the Mediterranean, were quartered in these barracks.
The Sussex Weekly Advertiser of July 15th 1816 announced the auction and removal of the barrack buildings.
Erected: 1 January 2003
Plaque Colour: Blue
Local area map loading...
Location: Junction of Barrack Lane The Street & Gossamer Lane
District Council: Arun District Council
District Council Ward: Aldwick West
County Council: West Sussex County Council
County Council Electoral Division: Nyetimber
UK Parliament Constituency: Bognor Regis and Littlehampton