The headland of Pen Bal Crag. "The place where now stands the Monastery of Tynemouth was anciently called by the Saxons Benel=balcrag" - Leland at the time of Henry VIII. So began the history of Tynemouth - its Priory, sacked by the Danes in 800, and Castle walls, started in 1095. Three Kings were buried within - Oswin, King of Deria(651): Osred, King of Northumbria (792); Malcolm III, King of Scotland (1093). Three crowns still adorn the North Tyneside coat of arms.
Erected: 1 January 1990
Plaque Colour: Blue
Local area map loading...
Location: Front Street
Metropolitan District: North Tyneside Borough Council