In the name of Allah, the Benificent, the Merciful. The first mosque in Liverpool, and probably the U.K., was established in Mt. Vernon St. in 1887 C.E. (1304 A.H.) and moved to this building, 8 Brougham Terrace, in 1889 C.E. (1306 A.H.) Established by Sheikh-Ul-Islam Abdullah Quilliam. 110th anniversary - 1997 Led by Sheikh Abdullah Quilliam, (a Liverpool solicitor and an English convert to Islam), a community of about 150 mainly British Muslims worshipped and attended lectures and evening classes in this building. There was also a boarding school for boys and a day school for girls. The call for prayers was given from the window above by the muezzin. A children's home was established at No.68 Sheil Road in 1896. In 1908 circumstances compelled them to abandon their mosque and homes and they dispersed across the land.
Erected: 1 January 1997
Plaque Colour: Blue
Local area map loading...
Location: 8 Brougham Terrace
Metropolitan District: Liverpool City Council
Metropolitan District Ward: Kensington and Fairfield