Bond's Hospital and Bablake School black plaque in Coventry
The College of Bablake and Bond's Hospital. The site of collegiate buildings of the Church of St John since 1344. The 14th century priests quarters were remodelled in 1560 as a boys hospital and later as a boys school which remained until 1890 when Bablake School transfered to new buildings in Coundon Road. Bond's or Bablake Hospital was endowed by the will of Thomas Bond in 1506. Much restored in 1832-34 it still provides a home for the elderly
Bablake School is a co-educational Independent school located in Coventry, England and founded in 1344 by Queen Isabella, making it one of the oldest schools in the United Kingdom (List of the oldest schools in the United Kingdom). Bablake is part of the Coventry School Foundation, a registered charity, along with King Henry VIII School, King Henry VIII Preparatory School and Cheshunt School. The current headmaster is John Watson, who succeeded Dr Stuart Nuttall following his retirement in 2006. Today Bablake is a selective, fee-paying independent school and a member of the HMC.