is erected by Yeovil Town Council in grateful recognition of the splendid services rendered on behalf of the town by the British Red Cross Society in providing a hospital for the care of 1200 wounded sailors & soldiers and to the Baptist Church for the generous loan of these premises for the purpose during the Great War 1915-1919.
Alderman W. R. E. Mitchelmore - Mayor of Yeovil
The British Red Cross Society is the United Kingdom branch of the worldwide impartial humanitarian organisation the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement. The society was formed in 1870, and is a registered charity with more than 27,200 volunteers and 3,700 staff. At the heart of their work is providing help to people in crisis, both in the UK and overseas. The Red Cross is committed to helping people without discrimination, regardless of their ethnic origin, nationality, political beliefs or religion.