Sheffield Town Hall Sheffield was granted its city charter in 1893 and the town hall was built to reflect its importance as one of Britain's great industrial cities. The exterior is of Stoke stone from Grindleford in Derbyshire. F W Pomeroy supervised the carvings, and the sculptured frieze represents Sheffield industries. Each part is 36 feet long, the same width as the Parthenon. The tower is 210 feet high and surmounted by the figure of Vulcan. Each clock face is eight feet six inches in diameter.