A bridge 30 feet wide was erected by the Scarborough Valley Bridge Company and opened as a toll bridge 1st July 1865. Purchased by the Corporation 12th June 1891. Tolls abolished 5th October 1919.
That bridge was taken down and this bridge 64 feet 6 inches wide erected in its place 1926-8. Opened 26th July 1928 by Mrs Wilfrid Ashley.
Alderman E. H. Matthews J.P., M.B.E. Mayor.
Alderman Sir Meredith T. Whittaker KT., J.P. Chairman of the Committee
Messrs Goode, Fitzmaurice, Wilson & Mitchell. Engineers
John Butler & Co Ltd. Contractors
Erected: 26 July 1928
Plaque Colour: Bronze
Local area map loading...
Location: Valley Bridge north west side wall
District Council: Scarborough Borough Council
District Council Ward: Castle
County Council: North Yorkshire County Council
County Council Electoral Division: Castle
UK Parliament Constituency: Scarborough and Whitby