City of Durham. This superstructure stood on the original site of the ancient Fram Well Head at a spot approximately 165 yards to the north north-east now marked by a cairn. The inscription below was found on a tablet within the superstructure upon its removal to the present site in 1959. This spring was given for the use of the inhabitants of the city of Durham for ever by Thomas Billingham, esq., by deed dated the 14th March, 1450 with leave to convey the water by pipes to the Pant in the Market Place which grant was confirmed by a decree of the Court of Chancery in Durham on the 30th March, 1633. The reservoir having become delapidated was rebuilt on the site and in the style of the original erection by public subscription in the year 1847. Joseph Holmes, Robert Robson; Pant Masters.
Plaque Colour: Bronze
Local area map loading...
Unitary Authority: Durham County Council
Unitary Authority Electoral Division (UTE): Elvet and Gilesgate