The City Chambers formally The Royal Exchange. Designed by John Adam, the eldest of the Adam brothers, this building was erected 1753-1761 as an exchange and customs house. In 1811 it became The City Chambers when the town council moved here from the tolbooth. Extended in 1904 and 1934 it has served as the administrative centre for Edinburgh Corporation and since 1975 for the Council of the City of Edinburgh.
Plaque Colour: Bronze
Local area map loading...
Location: 253 High Street
Unitary Authority: City of Edinburgh Council
Unitary Authority Ward (UTW): City Centre
Scottish Parliament Constituency: Edinburgh Central