On the 6th of September, 1620, in the Mayoralty of Thomas Fownes, after being "kindly entertained and courteously used by divers Friends there dwelling", the Pilgrim Fathers sailed from Plymouth in the Mayflower, in the Providence of God to settle in New Plymouth, and to lay the foundation of the New England States. The ancient Cawsey whence they embarked was destroyed not many Years afterwards but the Site of their Embarkation is marked by the Stone bearing the name of the Mayflower in the pavement of the adjacent Pier. This tablet was erected in the Mayoralty of J. T. Bond, 1891, to commemorate their Departure, and the visit to Plymouth in July of that Year of number of their Descendants and Representatives.
Plaque Colour: Bronze
Local area map loading...
Location: The Barbican
Unitary Authority: Plymouth City Council
Unitary Authority Ward (UTW): St Peter and the Waterfront
UK Parliament Constituency: Plymouth, Sutton and Devonport