A fine example of a merchant's house. Much of the structure dates from the 16th and 17th centuries including a remarkable five storey Elizabethan tower, the only remaining example in King's Lynn. There is however a late 14th century brick vaulted undercroft and two rooms with early 14th century tiled floors. Probably in 1708 the front part was remodelled, reputedly by the celebrated Lynn architect Henry Bell.
The impressive staircase and panelled rooms are characteristic of the period. There is a 17th century warehouse on the north side of the rear courtyard.
Erected: 1 January 1976
Plaque Colour: Bronze
Local area map loading...
Location: Clifton House, 17 Queen Street
District Council: King's Lynn and West Norfolk Borough Council
District Council Ward: St Margarets with St Nicholas
County Council: Norfolk County Council
County Council Electoral Division: King's Lynn North and Central