St. Andrew's Gardens
These gardens were opened on 5th June 1953 by the Mayor of Worcester to commemorate the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II.
They were formerly the site of St. Andrew's Church and churchyard which were conveyed as a gift to the Corporation by the Bishop of Worcester in 1947.
The church, which it is believed was first built in the 12th century.
Was demolished due to it's dilapidated condition and the tower and spire only now remain.
The tower, was built in the 15th century and the spire, which was rebuilt in 1751. Together rise to a height of 2451 feet and form one of Worcester's most beautiful and well known landmarks.
The spire is locally referred to as "The Glover's Needle", due no doubt to it's shape and to Worcester's association with the glovemaking industry.
Erected: 5 June 1953
Plaque Colour: Bronze
Local area map loading...
Location: Spire of the church of St Andrew - Copenhagen Street / Deansway