Staffordshire Warehouse. The Bridgwater Canal opened in 1764. Immediately, new industrial buildings sprang up all around this area. The face of Castlefield changed. Industry had arrived. The two arms of canal, shaped like a tuning fork, allowed two barges at a time to enter the Staffordshire Warehouse to load and unload. It was one of Castlefield's first warehouses, and around this huge building were sheds, offices and other warehouses.