The Union Workhouse. The workhouse was formerly built on this site for the Biggleswade Union in 1837 on 3 acres of land called 'Gallows Ditch. The building housed 280 paupers from 24 parishes and later became an infirmary, maternity hospital and old people's home called 'The Limes'. This fine Victorian building was demolished in 1972.
Plaque Colour: Brown
Local area map loading...
Location: 142 London Road
Unitary Authority: Central Bedfordshire Council
Unitary Authority Ward (UTW): Biggleswade South
UK Parliament Constituency: North East Bedfordshire