Maythorn Coachworks. John Maythorn a manufacturer of horse-drawn carriages moved from Sun Street to this site in 1869. The factory and showrooms of Maythorn & Sons Ltd covered a large area of the town centre, making bodies for expensive motor cars with Royal Patronage. Following a fire in 1923 the factory was rebuilt but subsequently closed in 1931. The premises were substantially demolished in 1990.