Victoria Gardens occupies the site of Harrogate's first covered public market, built in 1874 to the design of Arthur Hiscoe. On 31 January 1937, this building was destroyed by fire and was replaced in 1939 by a new market hall designed by Leonard Clarke. The present building, funded by the National Provident Institution and developed in partnership with Harrogate Borough Council and Speyhawk Retail plc (Architects: Cullearn & Phillips of Manchester) opened to the public on 9 November 1992. Inspited by Palladio's Basilica at Vicenza, Victoria Gardens continues Harrogate's tradition of quality shopping whilst retaining the market. As part of the development, Station Square was remodelled and Queen Victoria's monument, built to commemorate the Golden Jubilee of 1887, was cleaned and illuminated by the Borough Council.
Plaque Colour: Brown
Local area map loading...
Location: Victorian Gardens, Station Square
District Council: Harrogate Borough Council
District Council Ward: Low Harrogate
County Council: North Yorkshire County Council
County Council Electoral Division: Harrogate Central
UK Parliament Constituency: Harrogate and Knaresborough