Kings Road Promenade Well. This pure water well is fed from the natural ground waters of the Springfield Estate to the north of this plaque. The shaft appears to have been built between 1780 and 1830, the water being used to supply a neighbouring farm. Following the 1911 gift of W.H. Baxter (inventor of the road knapping process), which created a tree-lined promenade in memory of King Edward VII, the disused well was paved over. On restoration of the Kings Road Promenade in 2010, the well was rediscovered, and with the support of Harrogate Chamber of Trade and Commerce and Harrogate in Bloom, it was made a feature of the improvements.
Plaque Colour: Brown
Local area map loading...
Location: King's Road
District Council: Harrogate Borough Council
District Council Ward: Low Harrogate
County Council: North Yorkshire County Council
County Council Electoral Division: Harrogate Central
UK Parliament Constituency: Harrogate and Knaresborough