This was a station of the City and South London
Railway that opened in 1890. The line was the world's
first underground electric railway, London's first deep
tunnel 'tube', and the first purpose-built railway tunnel
under the Thames. In 1891 over 5 million passengers
used the line. After reconstruction in 1922, the original
entrance was relocated to its present corner site. During
World War II a tube spur below was used as an air raid
shelter for up to 14,000 persons.
Plaque Colour: Brown
Local area map loading...
Location: Borough High Street
London Borough: Southwark Borough Council
London Borough Ward: Cathedrals
London Assembly Constituency: Lambeth and Southwark
UK Parliament Constituency: Bermondsey and Old Southwark