The Huer's Hut. Grade II Listed Building. This building, thought to date from the 14th. C was used as a look-out by a Huer at the time of year when shoals of pilchards were expected in the bay. A call on his horn raised the hue and cry alerting the townsfolk to the arrival of the fish. By means of hand signals the Huer enabled the fishermen to position their boats and encircle the shoals with their nets. Prior to its user by the Huer this hut may have been a hermitage, the hermit possibly being the person entrusted with the lighting of the beacon fire for the guidance of shipping. Externally this building has a large typically Cornish late medieval chimney and a narrow stairway leading to the roof. There are two windows with drip moulds one of which (now blocked) has a mullion visible from inside. Here, too, can be seen as early fireplace altered in the 19th.C possibly during the restoration of 1835.
Plaque Colour: Brown
Local area map loading...
Unitary Authority: Cornwall Council
Unitary Authority Electoral Division (UTE): Newquay Central
UK Parliament Constituency: St Austell and Newquay