The Tolbooth and Mercat Cross. The Tolbooth built in 1767 stood until 1900 in front of the later public library. Prior to 1862 the town council met in the Tolbooth which, until 1877, also housed the police office and jail. The original Mercat Cross stood in Main Street in front of the Tolbooth until 1777. On May 28th 1679, three days before the Battle of Drumclog the Covenanters affixed their Declaration of Rutherglen to the cross. The present cross erected in 1926 is a replica of the original.
Plaque Colour: Brown
Local area map loading...
Location: Main Street, G73 2JJ
Unitary Authority: South Lanarkshire Council
Unitary Authority Ward (UTW): Rutherglen Central and North
Scottish Parliament Constituency: Rutherglen
Scottish Parliament Region: Glasgow
UK Parliament Constituency: Rutherglen and Hamilton West