Victoria Avenue. The work of the Victoria Park Company in joining the two ancient villages of High and Low Harrogate to form a modern town reached a climax in 1860 with the opening of Victoria Avenue. Two of the first developments were the Belvedere of 1861, now the College of Arts and the congregational church by Lockwood and Mawson of 1861-2. The avenue at one time had private entrance gates and the combination of wide roads and pavements. Grass verges, trees and noble buildings provided an example from which future generations could obtain inspiration.
Plaque Colour: Brown
Local area map loading...
Location: Victoria Avenue
District Council: Harrogate Borough Council
District Council Ward: Low Harrogate
County Council: North Yorkshire County Council
County Council Electoral Division: Harrogate Central
UK Parliament Constituency: Harrogate and Knaresborough