The Crown Hotel. The Crown is probably the oldest of the great Low Harrogate hotels, existing long before Joseph Thackwray became the owner in 1740. The nearness of the sulphur well and the provision of the highest standards of accommodation resulted in the small inn rapidly becoming an importnat hotel. In 1835 his great nephew, also named Joseph, achieved notoriety after sinking his own well close to the sulphur well but, following a hearing at York assizes in 1837, agreed to give up the well to public use. Lord Byron stayed here in the autumn of 1806 and, in addition to writing the "Ode to a Beautiful Quaker", was much distressed that his favourite dog had to be shot after attacking a horse. In 1839, at the outbreak of World War II, the Crown was requisitioned by the Air Ministry who remained until 1959, when it reverted to an hotel.