Brown plaque № 30539 in Harrogate

Crown Place. A few feet from this shop once stood the shop in once the notorious attempt was made by Joseph Thackwray, owner of the Crown Hotel, to divert the waters of the public sulphur spring into private control by means of the excavation of a new well. The discovery of this by Jonathon Shutt, owner of the Swan Hotel, on 1st December 1835, led to such an outcry that steps were taken not only to prosecute Thackwray but also to form a local authority with powers to protect the mineral springs and to improve the townships of Bilton - with - Harrogate and Pannal. The act of 1841 established the improvement commisioners who administered the town with great ability until 1884, when Queen Victoria granted Harrogate's incorporation as a borough.
Local area map loading...
  • Location: Crown Place
  • District Council: Harrogate Borough Council
  • District Council Ward: Low Harrogate
  • County Council: North Yorkshire County Council
  • County Council Electoral Division: Harrogate Central
  • UK Parliament Constituency: Harrogate and Knaresborough
  • Region: Yorkshire and the Humber
All plaques in Harrogate

Tell us what you know about Brown plaque № 30539 in Harrogate

BluePlaquePlaces.co.uk is a Good Stuff website.