Official racing started in 1861 on
Blaydon Island which lay North of
here. The song was written in 1862.
From 1887 to 1914 the race course
was on Stella Haugh, the site of
the former power station.
Plaque Colour: Brown
Local area map loading...
Location: NE side of Stella Road (B6317) opposite and a little NW of Caroline Terrace
Metropolitan District: Gateshead Borough Council
Metropolitan District Ward: Ryton, Crookhill and Stella