Chapman's Hall, St Mary Wode, and Maydenchamber white plaque in Winchester
By 1130 this property was known as Chapman's Hall, where linen cloths were sold. A connection with the clothing trade may have begun 100 years earlier, when a guild hall was
Nearby was a small parish church, known in the 14th century as St Mary Wode, suggesting the sale of woad and other dyestuffs. Along the northern boundary of the property was
Maydenchamber, a public latrine built over a stream.