Pate's Grammar School is a grammar school with academy status located in the Hesters Way area of Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, England. It caters for pupils aged 11 to 18 and is a Beacon school. The school was founded with a fund bestowed to Corpus Christi College, Oxford by Richard Pate in 1574. The school became co-educational in 1986, when Pate's Grammar School for Girls merged with Cheltenham Grammar School for Boys. In fact, the first female pupils came to the (Boys) Grammar School in 1971/72 to take their A-levels in the 6th form, and vice versa.In November 2012 Pate's was awarded with State ‘Secondary School of the Year’ by The Sunday Times in their Good Schools Guide. Most recently, the school was given a "Beyond Outstanding" recognition from Ofsted inspectors.
Richard Pate, (1516–1588) was an English landowner and Member of Parliament for Gloucester in the Parliament of 1559 and 1563-1567.Pate was born in Cheltenham and was a nephew of Richard Pate, Bishop of Worcester. An alumnus of Corpus Christi College, Oxford, he endowed that institution with property, on the condition that they use some of the money to found and maintain a school in Cheltenham. This school was founded in 1574 and still exists as Pate's Grammar School. Pate also left property in Oxford to Corpus Christi.Pate died in 1588 and is buried in Gloucester Cathedral. On his tomb is inscribed Patebit tum quod latuit, meaning what is hidden will be revealed. This is also the motto of Pate's Grammar School and the Old Patesians Rugby Football Club. He also has a primary school named after him, the Richard Pate School.